Hoping to help these guys...

Hoping to help these guys...

Sunday 25 September 2016

Come Rain or Come Shine. Day fourteen, Neligh to Fremont.

Well then, I was hot to trot before sunrise when I was stopped dead in my tracks by a deep, loud rumble: no, not the Mexican meal that I had last night but your actual thunder...getting louder. More thunder, lightning and then heavy rain, so I wasn't going anywhere until that had calmed down!

So, Nebraska: you turn the heat down but unleash these, eh?













When I did put my nose in the inevitable head/crosswind, the air was saturated...just so close and you could almost feel the electricity, although that may have been my lycra. I was lucky until lunch as the active cells skirted around my slow path towards Fremont.

A flat-track 100: oughta be able to phone that in. Oh dear me, no!
Maybe 'Panorama' was right way back in '57...it does grow on trees!
Lunch was taken at a gas station with a cafe inside it, and all was fine. I was suited and booted and ready to push-off, when just as before, there was a great rumble and I legged-it back inside pronto. Lightning is one of my three pet fears, along with cycling and getting a round in.

Anyway, over the following 90 minutes, there was the most vigorous show of sparking that I have ever seen, certainly during daylight, and there was a deluge of water too. I was joined in the cafe by four old locals who were reminiscing when they had last seen a display like this (June '78, washed-away ole Dewey Patterson), as well as a couple of bikers also looking to head east to Omaha.
Still looked in working order.
 It never quite stopped raining but the noisy nonsense had stopped, so that was good enough for me! Well, that and the fact that I had 55 miles left and had just lost 90 mins due to the storm...
Funny old thing: it never worried me that I was hiding from the lightning in a room sited over goodness knows how many gallons of petrol, hah-hah!
Yeah, but only if you live there, right?
Rollin', rollin', rollin'...
Your free corn shot of the day...
And that went on for around 90 minutes. Gimme shelter!
 The rest of it was just a trudge, really. When I did get to Fremont, I wasn't exactly bowled-over either: I'll be glad to set sail tomorrow...well, as long as my knees and legs agree, hah-hah!
Mate, don't park in front of the flag.
Only 5 miles of this bs to contend with then...
Got a few more 'beep-beeps' and shouts today too, whilst modelling this year's Bloodwise top: good on you, folks!
Even I think it deserves a wash by now.
The only good thing in Pizza Hut tonight!

A beautiful song, and a great take on it...


The sponsorship is going great guns but there is a little way to go on each cause. Please see if you can spare a couple of quid or whatever to help Bloodwise and Combat Stress. Here are those links if you are able to donate:

- To donate to Bloodwise, please click 'here'!

- Please click 'on this bit' to support Combat Stress.

I know that the two charities and the people that they help really appreciate all your help. Top stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment